Best Blender for Green Smoothies – The Top 7 Picks
Here are the top 7 picks reviewed to help you find the best Green Smoothie Blender
Note that all the top ranking blenders are very high powered machines and so you’ll also see that they are the higher priced blenders – but other, lower priced blender options listed here too.
After all, I know there are lots of folks out there with different budget levels. The lower priced blenders are the type for you to get by on until you can afford a better quality machine, or if you just won’t be using it very much.
Why Anyone Invests Big Bucks in a Smoothie Blender
To better understand how the best green smoothie blender was chosen, I need to share a few things about these types of smoothies.
For green smoothies to be enjoyable they need to be super smooth. The veggies and other ingredients need to be liquefied to the point where you wouldn’t even know any leafy stuff was ever in there. Except for the green color.
SMOOTH is the key word when it comes to having the best, most appealing smoothies.
Because drinking bits and pieces of leaves, or chunks of fruit and feeling the grittiness of seeds can be a turn-off. This especially won’t work if you are trying to get kids or other fussy people in your household to want to drink them.
A top notch, high-powered blender makes that problem history.
Unlike regular department store blenders that need constant stopping and restarting to coax the chunks of food into the blades, come high powered blenders, like the Vitamix, Blendtec and Omni, devour whatever you put into it. And makes everything super-duper smoooooth.
When you have the right machine, your green smoothies can be creamy in texture even without adding cream – but a lot of that depends on the quality and power of the blender you are using.
The smoother your green smoothie blend is, the more likely you will keep making them and drinking them.
The next bits of advice for choosing an awesome smoothie blender is to go with one that will fit best with your lifestyle.
Consider the following factors before you review each blender:
- how many people you are regularly making smoothies for- what capacity will you need
- what ingredients do you want to be able to blend in addition to greens (seeds, nuts, ice)
- how much power you’ll need to liquefy those ingredients (high level of power needed for seeds, nuts and ice for smoothest consistency)
- how often you will use it (not using it daily means you can get away longer with a lower quality machine)
- if you want to keep it on the counter or stow in a cupboard – check the size
- how long you expect your machine to last – lower power machines will not last as long if used daily for demanding blends – warranty length is a good clue
Knowing the answer to each of those things will make it much easier to choose the right blender for your situation.
# 1 – Vitamix 7500 Blender, Low Profile Jar, 2.2 HP Motor
This is an excellent machine for a family and high demand usage. Any Vitamix blender model will give you the best and smoothest results.
It can handle tough blends multiple times each day and will still last you for many, many years. You may never need to replace it – ever!
The company has been around for over 75 years and still makes all their blenders in the United States. Some Vitamix owners claim to have had their blenders for 40 years and they still keep going.
Vitamix customer service is reported to be excellent. They fully stand behind their product and the 7-year warranty.
- the 7500 is part of the Next Generation line from Vitamix
- Has vibration dampening and enhanced airflow management
- Approximately 40% quieter than older Vitamix models and other high powered blenders
- Variable Speed Control and Pulse feature allow for a variety of textures and for maximum flexibility
- Low-profile jug means assembled unit height will still fit easily under most upper cabinets
- BPA-free 64 ounce (1.5L) capacity jug can make family sized blends
- Has a powerful 2.2 peak HP motor spinning the blade up to 240 mph to blend the toughest ingredients – even seed, ice and nuts
- Newer design is sleeker, has an illuminated control panel, soft-grip controls, and large, easy-grip handle
- Tamping tool slides down through the top opening and allows for the mixing of thick, dense ingredients while the machine blends – without hitting the blades
- Can make soup from raw ingredients and “cook” using the heat from friction
- Spiral-bound recipe book and how to get started DVD
- 7 Year Warranty
- Made in the USA
Read more about Vitamix blenders here: Which Vitamix to Buy?
Check user reviews, ratings and best prices for the Vitamix 7500 Blender on Amazon
#2 – Blentec Total Blender WildSide
The Total Blender Classic is Blendtec’s first machine designed for home use. They are known for having their commercial blenders in many smoothies bars and coffee houses.
Blendec describes this as an all-in-one appliance which can replace up to 9 other small appliances.
This is a high-powered, fast and easy to use blender that is especially terrific for making green smoothies.
You can also use to make whole juice, ice cream, milk shakes, cappuccinos, margaritas, soups, sauces, bread dough, nut butter, dressings, salsas and more.
It comes in here at second place because it is much louder than a Vitamix and many people complain about its noise. Plus, you need to be more mindful with how you load ingredients into the jar to ensure your blend comes out smooth. Vitamix gets around that issue by supplying a tamper.
- Patented cold-forged wingtip 4″ blade design powers through toughest blending tasks
- Blending blade assembly is fused to the bottom of the pitcher
- Large WildSide (5 sided) 64 ounce (1.5L) blending jar
- Jar is made from BPA-free Tritan co-polyester to withstand high-speed blending
- Lid is very secure-fitting and vented to aid blending
- Commercial-quality 1,560-watt blender with 3 peak horsepower direct-drive motor
- 6 pre-programmed cycles control the motor for when it needs to speed up, slow down and shut off automatically.
- Digital touchpad buttons for a sleeker look & easy to wipe clean
- Stop machine mid-blend when you hit any program button
- Compact 15″ height easily fits under kitchen cabinets
- Comes with user guide and recipe book with more than 230 recipes
- 7-Year manufacturer warranty, for in-home use in the USA
- Made in the USA
Read my full review of this blender here: Blentec Total Blender Review
Check user reviews, ratings and best prices for the Blendtec Total Blender, FourSide Jar[/easyazon_link] on Amazon
#3 – JTC OmniBlend V
This is a powerful high speed 3 HP commercial grade power blender. When it comes to green smoothies, the this OmniBlend V does a superb job.
It certainly does outperform any department store blender.
It easily handles large chunks of fruit, whole leaves of kale and liquefies harder things like carrots and pineapple core in a breeze.
So no chewing bits of your smoothie like you do when using cheaper blenders. Still, it’s not quite as smooth or as creamy in texture as the Vitamix or Blendtec – but very close!
The Omni Blender’s motor has been designed for many years of use thanks to its built-in protection features and new technology.
One is a cooling system to keep it from overheating during heavy use. they consider this to be a superior design feature to other high-performance blender manufacturers.
The motor is designed to be energy efficient by only drawing the amount of wattage required to blend the ingredients. As a result of these combined features, JTC is a leader in motor technology.
- Unique six-blade assembly (2 special, downward-angled blades) made of stainless steel
- Large 64-ounce (1.5L) square shaped BPA free blender jug
- Powerful 3 horsepower motor easily crushes ice and blends the thickest of ingredients
- Has an automatic overload protection mechanism and reset button
- Snug fitting lid and tamper to fit through the top (just like a Vitamix)
- Smooth and easy to clean push button control panel
- Buttons include “slow”, “medium” and “high” speed settings plus a “pulse” button
- Includes 3 program blend cycle buttons: 35 seconds |60 seconds|90 seconds
- There is no digital display to indicate cycle times or error messages
- Height is approx 16-1/2″ tall, 7-1/2″ wide and 9 ” deep.
- Has a convenient cord storage beneath the blender base
- 7 year limited warranty
- Made in China
If buying a Vitamix or Blendtec is simply out of your current budget and you want (or truly need) a high-powered commercial level blender right now – then go for this OmniBlend. I think you’ll be very pleased with it.
Check user reviews, ratings and best price for the Omni V Blender on Amazon
Best Under $200
#1 – Ninja BL660 Professional Blender with Single Serve
This blender can do many of the same things as the top rated blenders. It can make some fairly decent green smoothies. It will crush ice, whole fruits and vegetables in mere seconds.
The extra large blending jug is resistant to heat, cold and scratching so you can also use this blender for hot soups and sauces. But unlike the Vitamix, the Ninja cannot “cook” and make soup from friction.
Also, note that this Ninja won’t make your smoothie blends the same super smooth consistency as the top 3 blenders on this list. Sorry, but no matter how long you run this machine, you might still need to chew some bits in your smoothie.
So, if the most important quality of a blender for you is that it can achieve a really smooth blend – this isn’t the blender for you. If you’re really picky about that you’ll be much better off saving up to eventually buy one of the top 3 choices.
- 1100 Watts of Power
- 72 ounce Extra Large pitcher BPA Free plastic
- Comes with 2 personal sized cups 16 oz each, with lids for on-the-go
- Features 3 speeds: 1 – mixing | 2 – blending | 3 – ice crusher
- Also has PULSE button and SINGLE SERVE button for blending with the single serve cups
- Height is 16.4 inches tall
- Cord is 2 feet long with storage compartment behind the base
- Dishwasher safe (top rack only). Some have reported plastic parts will warp from the heat in a dishwasher, so be careful to follow the owner’s manual
- 1-Year manufacturer warranty
- Made in China
Read my full review of this blender here: Complete Ninja 1100 Professional Review
Check user reviews, ratings and the best price for the Ninja Professional Blender on Amazon
#2 – Breville Hemisphere Control Blender
This blender feels very sturdy and it can just fit nicely under most upper cabinets.
This model comes with 5 speed choices each of which labeled with the additional function so you get a hint of what speed works better for which purpose.
The bottom of the pitcher is curved in the shape of bowl, to let all the contents slide down into the similarly shaped blades. The blades help to draw down what’s on top and wide sweeping blades hug the bottom of the jug.
This Breville blender will get most of the ingredients blended but it seems to leave at least one chunk about a 1/2 inch across, down at the very bottom. But if you only need to do some occasional blending, it might be just perfect for you.
If loudness is high on your list to avoid, this is blender is relatively quiet compared to similarly powered blenders.
- 750-watt motor
- 2 electronic program functions: Ice Crush and Smoothie
- A manual Pulse button is also found on the control console
- 5 speeds include: 1 – Snow | 2 – Mix | 3- Blend | 4 – Liquefy | 5 – Puree
- 48 ounce BPA -free jug made from shatter resistant copolyester
- Jug design is made to help draw the mixture down towards the blades
- Stainless Steel blades are permanently attached to the pitcher
- LCD timer counts up on speed settings and down for pre-programmed settings for complete control when blending
- Illuminated buttons for clarity and ease of reading
- 1-Year manufacturer warranty
View user reviews, ratings and best price for this Breville Blender on Amazon
#3 – KitchenAid 5-Speed Diamond Stand Blenders
Kitchen Aid has a long and respected name. They manage to make kitchen equipment fun, trendy, and something you’d like to see out on your counter.
Their Intelli-Speed® motor control in this unit will sense the contents and maintain the most optimal speed to power through all ingredients.
The pulse mode works with all speeds for manually controlled blending, while the ice crush feature will pulse at precise intervals for excellent ice crushing results.
Made with a steel-reinforced coupler to have direct, and more efficient power transfer from the motor directly to the blade. The coupler is also coated for quieter operation.
- 550-watt motor
- Blades are made from Stainless Steel
- Motor has their Soft Start® feature to start it at a slower speed and pull food into the blade then quickly increases to the selected speed setting
- 5 Speeds: Including Crush Ice and Pulse modes
- 60 ounce BPA-free pitcher is shatter- scratch – stain resistant
- One-piece pitcher & blade design is dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
- Easy to read control panel with Blue LED Lights
- Height is 16-1/2″ tall to fit under upper cabinets
- 1-Year manufacturer warranty
View 200+ user reviews, ratings and best price for this Kitchen Aid blender on Amazon
Best Under $100
#1 – Oster BRLY07-B 600-watt, 7-Speed Fusion Blender
Oster is probably one of the most well-known blender brands and has been in people’s homes since 1946.
Affordable and functional are the best 2 words to describe this unit. It’s a simple blender and is especially appreciated by those who would like a glass pitcher.
This blender will do a great job processing smoothies even with ice cubes in there, and without leaving chunks of ice.
But it simply can’t match the smoothness of any of the other, more expensive blenders listed on this page.
One very common remark made about this machine, and it seems to be with all Oster blenders, is that they are extremely loud.
- 600-watt motor
- Stainless Steel blade
- Reversible blade technology combats clogging (only in the pre-programmed modes)
- Ice Crusher blade pulverizes ice and frozen fruit
- 48 ounce Glass jar is thermal shock tested to withstand extreme temperature changes
- Glass jar is also dishwasher safe, scratch and shock resistant
- 5 manual controls: Max/Ice Crush | Max Pulse | Medium/Blend | Low/Stir | Low/Pulse
- 2 Pre-Programmed settings: Frozen Drinks & Shakes | Food Chop
- Features an all metal drive for longer lasting durability
- Height is 13.9″ tall to easily fit under the upper kitchen cabinets
- Made in North America
- 1-Year manufacturer warranty
View user reviews, ratings and best price for this Oster Blender on Amazon
I strongly advise you to buy the best possible blender that you can afford.
If you have an old one now, you’ll be better off to keep using it and save up until you can buy one of the top picks.
This will save you cash and frustration in the long run, especially if you end up using your blender a lot each day.
The All Time Best Green Smoothie Blender is:
The main reasons why it’s the ultimate choice are:
- Delivers the most awesomely smooth smoothies – no matter what you toss in
- Is dummy proof thanks to the Tamper Tool to aid the blending
- Quieter than its rivals
Even though the Blendtec can deliver equally luscious and smooth results to match with the Vitamix – it requires that you follow a certain order of steps.
That’s exactly where people go wrong!
You must load the ingredients in the sequence, from bottom to top, and avoid overfilling it. If you don’t, the Blendtec machine won’t be able to deliver optimal results. And because of the blade design, a tamping tool would damage it by trying to force the ingredients down.
So for that reason, I think the Vitamix is far more “goof proof” in that you can get away with popping the ingredients into it in almost any order and then use the tamper tool to help things along. Easy-Peasy!
See how the Vitamix blends up a superb green smoothie in this video:
Now actually, the Vitamix 750 is better for those of you who’d greatly appreciate the pre-set programs – as long as you are willing to pay for the upgrade. It is a wonderful convenience and it does ensure more consistent results. But living without the pre-set programs saves you about $120. It’s up to you to decide if the convenience is worth it.
Can a Vitamix change your life?
It’s weird to say this – but it actually can. By fully embracing all that it can do for you, it will change how you prepare foods, what you make and how you eat.
Get one and you’ll know that the only thing you will regret is that you didn’t own one sooner. See all the best Vitamix prices now: